cert-digest-algo clarification

Sam Smith smickson at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 16:28:01 CEST 2012

What is the difference between "personal-digest-preferences" AND "default-preference-list"

My understanding is that "default-preference-list" will define what is used for new key generation.
Based on what I recently read in this mailing list, "default-preference-list" also defines the "showpref" command,
which other users can see on my public key to know my preferences. Assuming this is all correct:

what does "personal-digest-preferences" do?