GnuPG 2.1 Windows 7, pinentry does not allow paste, no way to bypass?

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Mon Jun 4 12:56:48 CEST 2012

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:07:38 -0400
Robert J. Hansen articulated:

>On 6/3/2012 10:46 AM, L G wrote:
>> During command line decryption, pinentry opens a popup window for the
>> passphrase. In the pinentry window, paste (Ctl+V) is not supported.
>> Deal breaker.
>
>Storing your passphrase in the clipboard is generally considered unwise
>and harmful.  Your passphrase is a high-value secret: putting it on the
>clipboard makes it visible to every other process on your system
>(including malware!).
>
>Pinentry's refusal to support C&P is not accidental or an oversight.
>It's a deliberate design decision meant to help shield you from
>malware, Trojans, and other skulduggery that people may use to
>discover your passphrase.
>
>It's fairly easy to hack the source to support C&P.  However, the last
>it was asked about on this list the answer was "C&P will not be
>supported and patches to enable C&P will not be accepted."

I believe that ClipCache Pro <http://www.xrayz.co.uk/> can capture the
passwords. It has been a long time since I had PGP on a Window's
machine; however, I thought I use to do it with this utility.

By the way, ClipCache Pro is the best text capture program I have ever
used. I wish I could find something similar for *nix.

--
Jerry ♔