no password needed to export secret-keys?

Sam Smith smickson at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:27:00 CEST 2012

Hi.

When I use the command: gpg --armor --output <document name> --export-secret-keys <KeyID>

shouldn't I be asked for the secret key's password before Export is allowed to complete? I've tried this on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux and I'm never asked for a password. This doesn't seem secure to me. I would think that Export should not be allowed to occur until after the key's password is provided. Do I have something mis-configured? Can you explain how this is secure?

Thanks for your assistance.