way to see what cipher/algo was used to create your key?

Sam Smith smickson at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 15:16:46 CEST 2012

I see that --edit-key > pref lists out preferences. I'm assuming the first S is default cipher, first H is default algo, etc? so if a key is generated it will use the first S, first H, etc. But why are all those other S and H options listed? when would they ever be used to create keys?

Lastly, if you created your key some time ago (on a different machine) and don't know what the default cipher/hash was at the time, is there a way to find out what cipher and hash was used in the creation of your key?