GPG with GPUs

Kristian Fiskerstrand kf at sumptuouscapital.com
Sun Jun 17 21:10:14 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-17 20:50, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 17/06/12 19:26, Hauke Laging wrote:
>> start cmd:> time gpg --encrypt --sign 200k-file
>>
>> Sie benötigen eine Passphrase, um den geheimen Schlüssel zu
>> entsperren. Benutzer: "Hauke Laging <hauke at laging.de>" 2048-Bit
>> RSA Schlüssel, ID 0x3A403251, erzeugt 2010-03-04
>> (Hauptschlüssel-ID 0xECCB5814)
>>

>> real    0m0.143s user    0m0.086s sys     0m0.008s
>
> The OP said he encrypted to about 50 recipients. With such a small
> file, the asymmetric operation will be way more significant in the
> total time than if the file were much larger. You seem to be
> encrypting to only one recipient (you have a default-recipient?),
> so the comparison is way off.
>
> Furthermore, you'll need to establish the key size and asym cipher
> used for the recipients before you can do a fair comparison.
> Because a tin-foil hat RSA 16k key will be a bit more intensive
> than a 1k DSA key ;).

Indeed, the number of recipients and their key parameters will be
significant for the time to encrypt.

Somewhat off-topic, but to provide a measurement for an encryption and
signing using a tin-foil hat key of 15360 bit key, since I for various
reasons keep one around in the first place, and don't really get to
use it too often;

On my email VM, which has 4 cores and 4 GB of RAM, the measurements
are as follows:

kristianf at ubuntu:~$ dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=200 > 200kfile

kristianf at ubuntu:~$ time gpg2 -aser 43E67CF7 200kfile
real    0m2.321s
user    0m2.310s
sys     0m0.000s

where:
kristianf at ubuntu:~$ gpg --list-key 43e67cf7
pub   15360R/43E67CF7 2006-12-15
uid                  Kristian Fiskerstrand
<kristian.fiskerstrand at kfwebs.net>
uid                  Kristian Fiskerstrand (Large key) <kf at kfwebs.net>
sub   15360g/7CC80A28 2006-12-18

- --
- ----------------------------
Kristian Fiskerstrand
http://www.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
- ----------------------------
Corruptissima re publica plurimæ leges
The greater the degeneration of the republic, the more of its laws
This email was digitally signed using the OpenPGP
standard. If you want to read more about this
The book: Sending Emails - The Safe Way: An
introduction to OpenPGP security is now
available in both Amazon Kindle and Paperback
format at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RSG1S4/
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at http://www.sumptuouscapital.com/pgp/