idea.dll

John jw72253 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 20 19:03:23 CEST 2012

"Werner Koch" <wk at gnupg.org> wrote in message
news:<87r4tamlnb.fsf__2553.46998242221$1340181117$gmane$org at vigenere.g10code.de>...
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 07:56, laurent.jumet at skynet.be said:
>
> >     It's defined in GPG.CONF:
>
> Nope.  GnuPG-2 does not support loading of extensions.  the option is a
> dummy option.  The reason for this is that crypto operations are done by
> Libgcrypt and not by gpg.exe.
>
> The next version of Libgcrypt will support IDEA and thus GnuPG 2.1 will
> be able to decrypt old (i.e. PGP 2) files, directly.  However, using
> IDEA is not a good idea, we have far better algorithms for ages.

Hi, Werner.

When I have to make use of "idea.dll" so that I can decrypt messages that
were encrypted with it, I then use Gpg 1.4.x, and I have it in an altogether
separate folder from the real installation of Gpg 2.0.x. I could not agree
with you more in regard to its comparatively inferior algorithms, but that
does not preclude my needing it from time to time.

Is there any reason I should not place it in the same folder as the gpg.exe
version 1.4.x and then make reference to it there? Thanks.