choice of encryption algorithms

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 21 12:31:15 CEST 2012

On 21-06-2012 7:47, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> No, because this is the sort of thing that usually goes in a gpg.conf
> file.  I can't think of a use case for default-preference-list on the
> command line -- not saying none exist, mind you, but only that I can't
> think of one.

I have met one in practice: to override an invalid list on the key
itself. The key in queston was generated with PGP and said it supported
IDEA, that being my algorithm of first choice at the time I used that.

However, the key owner could not read my message because she had
imported the key in GnuPG (done by someone else more computer
literated), did not have the idea plugin installed and also didn't know
how to do that or how to manually change preferences on the key. So I
had to override locally.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers