"SHA1 Protection" from way to see what cipher/algo was used to create your key?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Jun 21 16:27:23 CEST 2012

On 06/21/2012 09:57 AM, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> There is no cipher
> or hashing involved in creating a key...

This may or may not be true, depending on what method of random number
generation is being used.  ANSI X9.17, Yarrow and Fortuna are three
examples of pseudorandom number generators that are built out of
cryptographic algorithms.  libgcrypt supports at least the former:
Linux's /dev/urandom is (I think) Yarrow-based.

Nine in ten says the OP doesn't care about this and was operating under
a misconception, which you and others have ably corrected.  One in ten
says we've been misunderstanding what the OP has been asking, and the
OP's really asking a technical question about PRNG operation.  :)