compilation information ?

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 01:13:18 CET 2012

Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 12:44 AM, brian m. carlson wrote:
>> From looking at the source, I don't believe so.  Note that the only case
>> in which you have more than one option is Windows/DOS.
>
> GnuPG compiles just fine under the Intel C/C++ compilers, under the GNU
> Compiler Collection, under Sun Studio, under AIX's own compiler and
> under Clang.  Probably more, too, but these are the only ones I've
> checked.  (What's the standard compiler for OpenVMS?)

VMS? DEC C aka Compaq C aka HP C
$ cc/version
HP C V7.3-009 on OpenVMS Alpha V8.3
$

Steven Schweda did a LOT of work porting 1.4.x to VMS.

> There are a *ton* of options for how to compile GnuPG on non-Windows
> platforms.  Windows is one of the more limited platforms, since you're
> more or less limited to MinGW-GCC or Cygwin-GCC.  The last time I used
> MS Visual C++ to try to compile GnuPG, the results were pretty awful...

The main difference is Cygwin will give you a more POSIXy feel along with the
default location for $GNUPGHOME.  The OS version string is set by configure as a
#DEFINE in config.h.

I worote a patch a while back that calls GetVersionEx and then determines the
version of Windows that gpg is running on and prints that. Never did anything
with it because I didn't think there'd be much interest in adding it to the code
base.

Back in the Dark Ages of 1.2.x, there were project files for MSVC as an
individual project.  There /may/ be some work done somewhere on the 1.4 branch,
but I think it'd probably be more work than value added.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John ( a ) Enigmail DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or

                   Cowboy Haiku -- Reflections on Rodeo
So many Cowboys. / Round Wrangler butts drive me nuts. / Never enough rope.