compilation information ?

brian m. carlson sandals at crustytoothpaste.net
Thu Mar 15 00:54:13 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:05:53AM -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 3/14/2012 12:44 AM, brian m. carlson wrote:
> > From looking at the source, I don't believe so.  Note that the only case
> > in which you have more than one option is Windows/DOS.
>
> GnuPG compiles just fine under the Intel C/C++ compilers, under the GNU
> Compiler Collection, under Sun Studio, under AIX's own compiler and
> under Clang.  Probably more, too, but these are the only ones I've
> checked.  (What's the standard compiler for OpenVMS?)
>
> There are a *ton* of options for how to compile GnuPG on non-Windows
> platforms.  Windows is one of the more limited platforms, since you're
> more or less limited to MinGW-GCC or Cygwin-GCC.  The last time I used
> MS Visual C++ to try to compile GnuPG, the results were pretty awful...

I presumed from the original post that what the poster was looking for
was Cygwin v. Mingw32, since he found the Version string in ASCII armor
acceptable but not the --version output and they differ only in this
aspect.

Obviously there are many different ways one can compile a piece of
software, but GnuPG has never exposed that information at all.  In
general, determining the build environment given only the executable is
difficult and embedding that information requires a lot of work for
little gain.  Most people don't need that information because they know
which compiler and options they (or their distributor) used.