GPG 1.4.x, 2.x, ECC, and portability

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue May 15 11:33:54 CEST 2012

On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:53, avi.wiki at gmail.com said:

> anything to work, as I am not able to figure out how to us gpgconf to
> switch sysconfdir to my stick's drive, and everything else is failing

The directory is determined by looking at CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA.  It
seems you can change the value by changing the environment variable
APPDATA.  However, I am not sure whether this is a documented feature.

A quick test shows that a wrong value for APPDATA returns an error and
thus gnupg will use a value based on the actual modules directory.

What do you think of an environment variable to explicitly force the use
of the installation directory (i.e the USB stick).  Instead of an envvar
we could also check the presence of a marker file in the installation
directory, to disable all use of default locations.  Both things are
easy to implement.

I don't know how the USB stick approach works with the Outlook and
Explorer plugins - they need to have registry entries.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner