how to use samrtcard with PC/SC cardreader

Kevin Kammer Lists.gnupg at mephisto.fastmail.net
Mon May 21 03:07:11 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:13:51AM +0800 Also sprach Yang Hon-Jang:
> I am interested in NOT put private keys in disk. I like the idea, put
> private keys in smartcard.
>
>  How to use the Fellowship
> Smartcard<http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/smartcard-howto-single.html#id2504251>describe
> how to use OpenPGP card with gpg. But in section 2.3.2,
> PC/SC(Personal computer/Smart card), there are only two lines:
>
> >TODO
>
> >To use PC/SC make sure you disable CCID by passing the --disable-ccid
> option to GnuPG.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. If I use command
>
>     gpg --disable-ccid
>
>     I got message
>
>     gpg: invalid option "--disable-ccid"
>
>     (PS, I use GnuPG 2.0.17 in Windows 7)
>
>    What is wrong?

I don't personally have much experience with using GnuPG on the
Windows platform, but I can say with reasonable confidence that
--disable-ccid is not a gpg option.  On Unix/Linux, that option is for
scdaemon, a component which is installed with GnuPG 2.0.x and which
manages the smart card interface.  Typically to use that option you
would put "disable-ccid" into your scdaemon.conf file, as scdaemon is
rarely launched by the user directly.

I'm sure someone with gpg4win xperience will be along shortly to be of
more help.