system migration

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 31 21:28:08 CEST 2012

On 5/31/12 3:19 PM, John A. Wallace wrote:
> Hello. I am moving my system onto another machine, and it will require
> my reinstalling everything, not simply restoring. Are there any
> instructions related to which files need to be moved, and other
> considerations, in order to transfer the capabilities of my gnupg
> application. I am moving it from Windows XP to 64-bit Win 7.

Other people will chime in with precise folder paths.  I no longer have
access to any Windows XP machines, so I can't -- but a little
exploration should reveal them.

Somewhere on your system you'll have a file called "secring.gpg".  In
that directory you'll have some (or all) of --

	* pubring.gpg
	* secring.gpg
	* trustdb.gpg
	* gpa.conf
	* gpg-agent.conf
	* gpg.conf
	* scdaemon.conf
	* random_seed

Copy over all these files except random_seed.  Don't re-use random_seed:
sharing the same random_seed between two different machines can
potentially be unwise.

On the new machine, just install GnuPG from http://www.gpg4win.org.  On
the new machine, find where GnuPG has placed its gpg.conf file.  Drop
all the files from the old machine (except random_seed) into that
folder, overwriting if necessary.

With that, your migration should be complete.