[gnupg-users] Change key password in batch mode

Jaime Fernández jaimefdez86 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:13:11 CEST 2012

Hi,

I want to edit the password in batch mode, I try this: (where 12345 is the
old password)

$ gpg --batch --passphrase-fd 0 --status-fd 2 --command-fd 0 --edit-key user

12345
[GNUPG:] GET_LINE keyedit.prompt
passwd
[GNUPG:] GOT_IT

[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT 4565CE******* User1 <user1 at user1.com>
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE 4565CE******* 4565CE****** 17 0
[GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
[GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE

Enter the new passphrase for this secret key

[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE_SYM 3 3 2

[GNUPG:] GET_LINE keyedit.prompt

But gpg never gives me the chance to write the new password. I saw other
similar post
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2005-February/024757.html
but I can get it working. In fact I don't see any GET_HIDDEN, is it an old
functionality?

Thanks