new release of GPA

User auto48352680 at hushmail.com
Mon Oct 29 21:28:02 CET 2012

On 10/29/2012 1:34 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 10/29/2012 2:05 PM, User wrote:
>> You may want to take a look at GPGshell for an alternative.
>
> GPGshell is not Free Software, and for that reason it's not exactly
> appropriate to recommend it on this list.

It is free and it says "Freeware" right on the page where the reference
to downloading it was shown:

> Whether we agree or disagree
> with the Free Software Foundation -- I personally disagree with them,
> and particularly RMS, an awful lot -- the fact remains that GnuPG is a
> GNU project, and we should respect their rules when we're participating
> on an official GNU mailing list.  :)

And there was no disrespect intended from what I can see. "The fact
remains that..." the GnuPG product is apparently broken and the OP was
looking for a GUI program. Not everyone wants to use a CLI.

> What about GPGshell do you find to be a clear win over GPA?

Well have you seen what all it can do? At least twice as many of the Gpg
commands and options are accessible from the GUI, and how many
enhancements to GPA have there been in the last few years?  Seems like
the GUI and the Windows port in particular exist out of deference at best.
> How can the
> GPA maintainers make GPA competitive with GPGshell?

Listening to its users?