new release of GPA

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Oct 29 21:41:31 CET 2012

On 10/29/2012 04:28 PM, User wrote:
> It is free and it says "Freeware" right on the page where the
> reference to downloading it was shown:

It is not Free Software.

"'Free software' means software that respects users' freedom and
community.  Roughly, the users have the freedom to run, copy,
distribute, study, change and improve the software. ... 'free software'
is a matter of liberty, not price.  To understand the concept, you
should think of 'free' as in 'free speech,' not as in 'free beer.'"

GPGshell is free-as-in-beer software, but it is not free-as-in-speech
software.  Quoting from http://www.jumaros.de/rsoft/faq.html :

"Do you publish your source-codes?

No!  But when you've got the source-code for Windows, you can ask me again."

GPGshell does not make their source code available to their users.  That
means it cannot be considered Free Software under GNU's definition.  And
since this mailing list is associated with GNU, and GNU requests that
people not recommend the use of nonfree software, I think it's only
reasonable that we comply with their request.

> And there was no disrespect intended from what I can see. "The fact
> remains that..." the GnuPG product is apparently broken and the OP
> was looking for a GUI program. Not everyone wants to use a CLI.

"Broken" is pretty strong language.

Not everyone wants a CLI, true.  That doesn't mean GnuPG is broken: it
means that GnuPG does not satisfy the needs of some users.

> Well have you seen what all it can do?

No, because I use the CLI.

> At least twice as many of the Gpg commands and options are accessible
> from the GUI, and how many enhancements to GPA have there been in the
> last few years?  Seems like the GUI and the Windows port in
> particular exist out of deference at best.

Could you perhaps make a list of, say, the top five features GPGshell
supports that GPA doesn't?  Things that you, yourself, use regularly,
and which would make GPA better suited for you?  I'm sure the GPA
maintainers would be very interested in hearing it.