Create subkey that will expire in 10 hours

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Apr 4 12:44:45 CEST 2013

On 04/04/13 12:37, Hauke Laging wrote:
> That seems not to be part of the documentation...

The doc file DETAILS mentions it for unattended key generation:
>      Expire-Date: <iso-date>|(<number>[d|w|m|y])
> 	Set the expiration date for the key (and the subkey).  It may
> 	either be entered in ISO date format (2000-08-15) or as number
> 	of days, weeks, month or years.  The special notation
> 	"seconds=N" is also allowed to directly give an Epoch
> 	value. Without a letter days are assumed.  Note that there is
> 	no check done on the overflow of the type used by OpenPGP for
> 	timestamps.  Thus you better make sure that the given value
> 	make sense.  Although OpenPGP works with time intervals, GnuPG
> 	uses an absolute value internally and thus the last year we
> 	can represent is 2105.

Although I interpreted it to mean the number of seconds since the epoch.

I didn't realise the notation was also valid for interactive key generation,
though. Otherwise I would have answered OP, because I found it while looking for
the answer to his question.

Peter.