Using smartcard as RNG

Josef Schneider josef at netpage.dk
Sun Apr 14 03:22:04 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Henry Hertz Hobbit <
hhhobbit at securemecca.net> wrote:

> On 04/13/2013 11:04 AM, Pete Stephenson wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > [1] http://www.entropykey.co.uk/ [3]
> <SNIP>
>
> Are you sure you aren't advertising it?   Using the URL
> you supplied, this one has been written about and the link
> you are looking for (well, at least one of them) is from
> its links:

Are you sure you actually read the mail you are replying to?
He does NOT want to use this device, his question was if it is possible to
use a smartcard (the OpenPGP card http://g10code.com/p-card.html but as far
as I know almost every smartcard has a TRNG that can be read from with the
same command) as entropy source.
This is, in fact, possible and there is a small tool that does exactly that
available at https://github.com/infincia/cardrand

 Best regards,
Josef Schneider