Privacy concerns

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Apr 17 18:22:26 CEST 2013

It's come up on the list many times. No one has demonstrated that there
is mass-mining of e-mail addresses from the key servers. Personally, I
have a mini-honeytrap set up for testing this, and while I get dozens of
spam messages every day as a result of having had my e-mail addresses
posted publicly in various places for many years, I get no more than a
dozen _per year_ pointed at addresses from my key honeytrap.

It's very safe to assume that e-mail address harvesting from the key
servers is not anything to worry about.

More generally, it's been well documented in the anti-spam community
that techniques to "hide" your e-mail address from spammers are totally
fruitless. You want to apply intelligent filters on the receiving side
of the e-mail transaction to limit the flow seen by the end users.
That's the only viable long term solution.

hope this helps,

Doug