Serpent?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Aug 22 16:15:23 CEST 2013

On 08/22/2013 09:56 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> GnuPG extends this with support for Camellia-128, Camellia-192 and
> Camellia-256.  I don't know the reasoning for introducing Camellia, but
> I'm sure there's a solid basis for it.

Camellia in OpenPGP is now a published part of the spec, complete with
symmetric algorithm number assignments from the IANA:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5581

> The best way to get GnuPG to support SERPENT is to convince the IETF
> OpenPGP Working Group to add SERPENT to the symmetric cipher profiles.

And the best way to do get started on the path to standardization is to
provide a patch for an existing implementation (probably using an
algorithm number from the experimental range [0] that implements it, to
demonstrate feasibility.

Using RFC 5581 as a template for the proposed draft would probably be
the quickest path to getting it documented and agreed upon in an
acceptable way.

Regards,

	--dkg

[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-9.2