Promoting the usage of OpenPGP (was: Re: Renewing expiring key - done correctly?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 12 14:36:58 CET 2013

Ingo,

On Thursday 05 December 2013 at 21:38:50, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Therefore, I'm wondering whether it wouldn't be better if we, the
> developers of Free Software mail clients, made the usage of OpenPGP (or
> S/MIME) for email as transparent to the users as possible. Ideally, the
> users wouldn't even have to notice that they are communicating via
> encrypted email.

you are probably aware of it, but just in case you aren't:
STEED would help a lot to make start using encryption easier
_and_ it is upwards compatible with end-to-end encryption
in S/MIME and OpenPGP.

http://g10code.com/steed.html

Also note that at least for Kontact Mail, GnuPG, Gpg4win
there is not enough effort to create a cool crypto solution.
It would either mean significant funding or a bunch of very talented
developers with free time on their hands. It probably falls back to funding,
so: How can we make people fund crypto improvements and tool maintenance?
Especially when it is Free Software?

There are a number of ideas, but some of them require significant investments
(e.g. approaching providers about STEED. Crowd Funding. App-Stores.)

Best,
Bernhard
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner