Sharing/Storing a private key

Leo Gaspard ekleog at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 21:14:07 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 12:12:12PM +0100, Mindiell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using GPG regularly and did want to "save" my private key.
>
> [...]
>
> I found ssss (http://point-at-infinity.org/ssss/) too, but it wasn't
> really usable beacause it has too many limitations IMHO.
>
> So I did it myself : ShareIt (https://gitorious.org/shareit)
>
> [...]
>
> It is using the Shamir's Sharing Secret Algorithm
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamir%27s_Secret_Sharing).
>
> [...]
>
> Any Comments and/or critics are more than welcome, especially on security
> issues.

AFAIK, ssss *is* an implementation of SSS. So, why would you write a new
version?

I must say I didn't look at the source, as I do not see the point at first.

So, this is a warning about security issues : something you made yourself is
likely to be unsafe. A tested implementation exists.

Maybe is there really a point in writing it, but I can't see which. Maybe if you
explained what the limitations of ssss are...?

HTH,

Leo