New GUI frontend for windows

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Dec 26 13:00:08 CET 2013

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:50:50 -0500, Robert J. Hansen stated:

> On 12/25/2013 7:49 AM, Alice Bob wrote:
> > It is closed source, unlimited trialware.
>
> (a) If you're asking people to provide feedback and bug reports for
> closed-source software, you're asking people to help you make a buck
> without giving them much of anything in return.  I find that
> unethical. I don't find closed-source software unethical, mind you,
> but if you're going to write closed-source software then, IMO, you
> need to take responsibility for doing SQA without community
> assistance.
>
> (b) Without source, there's no way I will trust it.
>
> (c) The web page asks, "Can I trust you?", and you answer it with
> "YES!".  Sorry, but no.  The only correct answer to "Can I trust you?"
> is, "You need to figure that out for yourself."  In my experience,
> people who answer that question "yes" are usually deeply
> untrustworthy.
>
> (d) As a closed-source product, this should not be advocated on
> GnuPG-Users.  GnuPG is a GNU project, and they have some quite serious
> philosophical beliefs about the moral evils of closed-source software.
> Let's respect the GNU position by not advocating closed-source
> software on this list.

I certainly don't want to start a flame war here; however, if you are so
unequivocally anti proprietary software, then why do you even allow a
version of your product to be created that will run on it. That is
certainly not a consistent approach.

--
Jerry