gnupg not working with RHEL 4

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jan 4 14:54:43 CET 2013

On Jan 3, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Anilkumar Padmaraju <apadmaraju at prounlimited.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is an important issue for me.  I would really appreciate, if any one can help.
>
> Server 1:
> I have a server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5) and having gnupg version 1.2.6.
>

> When I am trying to import a key, I am getting below problem and the key is not getting imported.  The key is 2048 bits.
>

> # gpg --import /key.asc
> gpg: DSA requires the use of a 160 bit hash algorithm

This means that you are trying to import a key with a version of GnuPG that is too old to understand it.  That key uses a feature (called DSA2) that didn't exist in version 1.2.6 of GnuPG.

> Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade Linux on Server 1.  What I have to do to solve the problem with gpg import on Server 1?

While you don't have to upgrade Linux on server 1, you do need to at least upgrade GnuPG.

Go to http://www.gnupg.org/download/ and grab the latest 1.4 version of GnuPG (at the moment, it's 1.4.13).  That is the easiest replacement for 1.2.6, and will handle that DSA2 key just fine.

David