"New" packet headers and gpg

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jan 4 21:23:45 CET 2013

On Fri,  4 Jan 2013 17:34, singpolyma at singpolyma.net said:

> headers.  Such implementations' ouput can be read by gpg, but there's
> currently no way to convince gpg to talk to them :)

I just checked the RFC and it says:

   If interoperability [with PGP 2] is not an issue, the new packet
   format is RECOMMENDED.

Thus there is nothing in the standard which would speak against using
the new headers.  This can either be done using a new option or by using
for example the existing compliance option --rfc4880.

I don't assume that PGP 2 is still in use.  With the recent addition of
IDEA even decryption of old data can now be done with vanilla GPG.
Shall we give this a test by using one of the compliance options and
make the new headers the default in one or two years?  Less code is
always better.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner