not recognizing my passphrase after moving from XP to Win7

eMyListsDDg emylistsddg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 05:42:39 CEST 2013

Hello Henry,

> On 07/07/2013 03:10 AM, eMyListsDDg wrote:
>> now i'm finding out after moving from XP to Win7 that i can't
>> edit my keys or decrypt email test messages.

>> the passphrases to decrypt i have aren't working from command
>> line or my email app.

>> during migration i copied all the files from
>> <user>\<apps>\gnupg dir on XP to my new machine.

> Where do you put them on Windows 7?  It is hard to see where
> they are at for me but I just did a dummy key create on
> Windows 7 and then copied all of my keys sans the
> random_seed file over the newly created files  I cannot see
> it right now on Linux due to all of the shortcuts not showing
> up the same way with NTFS mounted RO on Linux.
> You didn't say what email program you are using so I assume
> Outlook which may or may not make a difference.

i copied the 32-bit XP gnupg dir contents to this dir on Win 7-64bit

from:    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\gnupg

to:      C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\gnupg\

there is a sub-dir C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\gnupg\private-keys-v1.d  that is empty. did i miss getting my priv keys copied over?

nope, do not use Outlook. i use "TheBat! v5.1.6.2" on my windows machine, have for years.

i thought too, as you did, maybe the mailer program was the issue. but i went to commandline, encrypted a small test text file with my email key. that succeeded. but couldn't decrypt it. returns invalid key. no matter i typed in key or pasted from my main password database app.

>> is there command line opt for gpg2 to run to sync my key
>> ring or am out of luck after moving to new machine and have
>> to create new key pairs?

> I don't have extensive testing but I copied my keys from 32 bit
> Ubuntu to 32 bit OpenSuSE and Windows XP.  I just changed the
> XP to Windows 7 but I am using 32 bit Windows 7.  I did the same
> there but I do modify the random_seed file with hexedit for
> each key-ring which some people object to.  From my point of
> view that is far better than just having each key-ring having
> the same random_seed file.  But for Windows 7 I just left the
> newly created random_seed file in place but copied over all
> the other files.  I have two systems with Windows 7 32 bit on
> both of them (should have gone with 64 bit - no such thing
> as PAE on Windows).

> I don't think you can just copy for Windows XP 32 bit to
> Windows 7 64 bit.  Is that what you have?  If it is what you
> have you may need to do a export / import.  I can say I have
> had no problems with my Windows 7 32 bit but I only ran one
> test which was to verify a file with a detached signature
> file.  I can do the following but I don't read email AT ALL
> on Windows (I get lots of malware in my email - the wannabee
> hackers think they can catch me off guard):

either i changed the password and forgot to update my password database or, as you mentioned, copying from 32-bit XP to 64-bit win is likely the issues.

i'm scanning my backup synology host to see if i have the saved old xp dir's and (maybe?) i can do an import of them.  otherwise i'll just consider this a bust and recreate new key/pairs.

now that you mentioned it, as i have a few linux vm's running i could start using for email. a few of those vm's have gpg & mail client support already.

**edit update:

after copying and importing keys to one of my linux vm's and trying numerous times to decrypt a simple text file. i found my error.
it was user error as one char that i thought was a certain char wasn't. an alpha char looked like a char i was typing and it was a numerical char. gee, toss these older eyes of mine away!!

if you hadn't helped with your suggestions i doubt i would have found this error. the other reply was about my keyboard. turns out, user error typo. text really small in my password database .. i'll change that!

appreciate your help!

> 1. Encipher a file with my public key on Linux and decipher
>    it on Windows.

> 2. Symmetrically encipher a file with the TWORISH cipher on
>    Linux and decipher it on Windows.

> 3. Do the same as the previous two but do the ciphering on
>    Windows and deciphering on Linux.

> Let me know if it would help to do that (a personal message
> would be fine).  After that I could stand by for some tests
> using email by enciphering, signing and both.

that may help and appreciate the offer. let me see if i can find the old backed up dir and see if gnupg will import that

> HHH

Bill
Key fingerprint = DB4D 251B FE8A BDCD 2BE4  E889 13F1 78D0 A386 B32B