GPG weakness

Thomas Harning Jr. harningt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:54:17 CEST 2013

I believe the issue here is that if you are running inside a virtual
machine, information can leak between VMs and the VM host about certain CPU
flags/etc. This can lead to the ability to steal data.
In general GnuPG is pretty secure and does a good job at keeping data
protected even if an adversary is on the local machine... however when you
are sharing cycles or have malware running on your machine, the security
game is no longer yours and you are gambling. A step in the right direction
would be to use a hardware token, but if you have malware running, it could
interject itself into the signature flow and have the device sign its own
data instead of data you provide...

Thomas Harning Jr. (http://about.me/harningt)