License violation: GoldBug

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Jul 27 13:42:37 CEST 2013

On 7/27/2013 7:12 AM, Randolph D. wrote:
> Hi Peter, see the libgcrypt shown with license here:
> # e2e Encryption (PK over SSL: using libgcrypt with LGPLv2.1+ License).
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/goldbug/?source=navbar
> and I think further releases will show it of course with more
> consideration of the used libs,

The issue isn't "consideration".  The issue is that the libraries you
use in a program may influence how you can choose to license and/or
distribute the program.

After about ten minutes of looking through your code I've come to the
conclusion that your code cannot be legally distributed.  You distribute
both the OpenSSL libraries and the Qt libraries, but the OpenSSL
libraries are distributed under the OpenSSL license and the Qt libraries
are distributed under the GPL.  Those two licenses are incompatible: the
OpenSSL license has special requirements that the GPL expressly forbids.

See, e.g., https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html