Why OpenPGP is not wanted - stupid is in vogue right now

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 10 12:40:07 CEST 2013

On 10-06-2013 10:46, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:

> Nobody but me uses my signatures on the stuff I
> deliver.  It isn't because my keys aren't part of the WOT.  It
> is because for what ever reason they want to complain like mad
> about Prism but then go to Facebook and broadcast their personal
> lives to the entire world.

Privacy has much more to do with encryption than with signing. On the
contrary, when I sign a message it is much easier to prove, or at the
very least make it probable, that I wrote it, thus reducing my privacy.

When I want privacy from government agencies I would use encryption for
sensitive or 1 to 1 messages. Signing will not help, when some 3-letter
agancy starts sending messages in my name that is easily detected by me.

For email this is easy, I'm now figuring out how to set up myn own
encrypted VOIP server for secure phone conversations within a group.
This proves much more complicated, most private VOIP services either
don't support encryption, support it in an unsafe way (unencrypted key
exchange, who the ^$*#E%#%& invented that?) or assume you're using fixed
phones instead of mobiles over 3G.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers