Smart card works with GPG v1 but not with GPG v2 on Ubuntu

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Sat Jun 29 20:13:45 CEST 2013

On 6/29/2013 7:56 PM, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 29/06/13 17:24, Pete Stephenson wrote:
>> as I don't really see why gpgsm would magically make things work as it
>> doesn't seem really related to the Crypto Stick).
>
> On Ubuntu 12.04, the gpgsm package contains the scdaemon, the smart card daemon.
> So that's understandable that it needs to be installed.
>
> On 13.04, they moved it to the separate scdaemon package.

Ok, but isn't pcscd the scdaemon? On Ubuntu 12.10 and before I'd install
the libccid and pcscd packages and the Crypto Stick still wouldn't work
even though scdaemon was installed and configured. The Crypto Stick
wouldn't work at all until I installed gpgsm.

I admit to being a bit out of date in regards to testing the 13.04
release because I've been a bit too preoccupied with outside stuff to
tinker much, but hopefully things have improved. :)

Cheers!
-Pete