gpg 2.0.19-r1 with libgcrypt 1.5.0-r2 -- Segmentation Fault

Robert Kotz robertkotz2007 at u.northwestern.edu
Thu Mar 7 23:48:13 CET 2013

Hi all,

I hope this is the most appropriate place for this...please let me know if
there's a better spot.

Anyway, I'm getting a segfault whenever I try to use GPG to encrypt or
decrypt any message. I have all my keys, public and private, imported from
another system which works exactly as expected, and which should be more or
less identical to the one that seems to be broken. I'm running Sabayon, a
fresh install and fully updated, if that is useful information at all...

Here's what happens:

feign at mahakala ~ $ gpg --decrypt lebowski.asc

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "My Email"
1024-bit ELG key, ID 429C2EF5, created 2013-01-16 (main key ID 719D9903)

gpg: Invalid passphrase; please try again ...

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "My Email"
1024-bit ELG key, ID 429C2EF5, created 2013-01-16 (main key ID 719D9903)

gpg: encrypted with 1024-bit ELG key, ID 429C2EF5, created 2013-01-16
      "My Email"

gpg: signal Segmentation fault caught ... exiting
Segmentation fault

So yeah, it looks to be validating my passphrase correctly (I typed it
incorrectly on purpose first just to check), but then it seg faults. On my
other system, with the same keys and gpg version, I can run the same
command and it works just fine.

Thoughts? Any extra information I can provide? I'd really like to get this
working, and I'm pretty baffled.

Thanks!
Rob