--textmode not retaining the originating EOR

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat May 25 14:18:26 CEST 2013

On 24/05/13 18:49, irak wrote:
> I don't understand your answer.

If I understand correctly, it is the /sender/ who chooses how /you/ will see the
line endings. If they send it using the --textmode switch or the PGP equivalent
option, the .pgp file will be marked to instruct your GnuPG to convert the line
endings to local form, which is just LF. If the sender does not use --textmode
or its equivalent, you will get the EOL's that the original file of the sender
had. If they are using Windows, that will be CR-LF.

> Is there any control over the gpg decipher process that says don't default
> to the local EOR but use what was stored in the file?

I don't think so. HHH mentioned PGP might have this option. The alternative, as
Werner said, is to convert it yourself. As long as the file is consistent in its
line-endings, this shouldn't be a problem.

HTH,

Peter.