Sharing a card reader between pkcs11 and gnupg card?

Tapio Sokura tapio.sokura at iki.fi
Tue Nov 5 12:26:05 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm having some troubles using both a PKCS #11 accessed card (national
electronic ID card) and an OpenPGP card in the same computer. I haven't
really looked deep into this yet, but it looks like the smart card
reader is claimed by the driver that is first started (scdaemon or the
national ID card driver) and the other one doesn't see any readers.

Is this the expected beahvior, i.e. I can't share one card reader
between different card types without stopping/starting services when
changing from one card to another?

I have several card readers, so I could use two readers at the same time
and I understand I should be able to dedicate one reader for one card
type by configuration. But for laptop use that gets clumsy, especially
when you have (one) integrated reader already in the laptop.

I'm running 12.04 LTS Ubuntu with the packaged gnupg
(2.0.17-2ubuntu2.12.04.3).

   Tapio