bug-like: strange behaviour of addrevoker

Tue Nov 5 23:13:58 CET 2013

Hello,

I have created another key for me (higher security level) so its user ID has
obviously the same name like the ones of my old key. I did this with
Knoppix 7.2 (i.e. gpg 1.4.x).

After key creation I wanted to add the keys to each other as designated
revokers. But that didn't work as expected. After entering the command
"addrevoker" I was asked to enter the user ID of the respective key. Why the
user ID and not the key ID or fingerprint? Does that make any sense?

However, gpg has a quite strange user ID matching behaviour here. If I enter
the complete user ID
Hauke Laging (Standardadresse) <hauke at laging.de>
then it is not found. If I enter just "Hauke Laging" I get a clever error
message that a key cannot be its own designated revoker... Neither 1a571df5
nor 0x1a571df5 works. Even worse: The email address doesn't work either (both
hauke at laging.de and <hauke at laging.de>).

So I had to create a new user id (and throw the others away in order to avoid
changes to the other key). With the new name it worked.

I assume this is a bug as you would expect it to happen quite often that there
are several keys with the same name. Probably this feature is rarely used.

CU

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/