article about Air Gapped OpenPGP Key

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Nov 18 21:35:24 CET 2013

> 4. Are there any known issues with your "air gapped" system being the
> same physical hardware as your everyday system even if you use a LiveCD?

The airgap networks I've seen have run in separate rooms from the
regular network and use a different kind of networking hardware in
order to make cross-contamination impossible.  For instance, if the
network uses gigabit Ethernet then the airgap will use 10base2 coaxial
cable, or some other incompatible networking system.  (This may be the
only remaining legitimate use for 10base2...)

If your airgap system is network-compatible with the regular system,
then you don't have an airgap.  What you have instead is something
that looks like an airgap until somebody has a five-second braino
while hooking up network cables, and you don't discover for two weeks
afterwards that your airgap was breached.