article about Air Gapped OpenPGP Key

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Mon Nov 18 22:07:49 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Pete Stephenson <pete at heypete.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2013 6:21 PM, adrelanos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > An article about air gapped OpenPGP keys has been written by me:
> > https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Air_Gapped_OpenPGP_Key
> >
> > Please leave feedback or hit the edit button. Maybe it's useful for
> > someone. It's under public domain.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > adrelanos
>
> <snip>
>

> 4. Are there any known issues with your "air gapped" system being the
> same physical hardware as your everyday system even if you use a LiveCD?
> I don't know if there'd be the potential for hardware compromises.
> Depending on one's security needs, it might be useful to get a separate,
> isolated, never-connected-to-the-internet computer specifically for
> high-security needs. (See
> <https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/10/air_gaps.html> for some
> pointers.)

If you haven't seen it already, check out the story on "BadBIOS" -- Dragos
Ruiu, one of the organizers of CANSEC West has alledgedly uncovered a
complex hardware rootkit.  (One story here:
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/11/badbios.html)  I haven't
decided yet if I believe all of it, but it's still a scary thought.

> Cheers!
> -Pete
>
> Cheers!
> -Pete