Unusual (unintended?) behavor upon decryption of a message // follow-up correction

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Tue Nov 19 20:47:21 CET 2013

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
wrote onTue Nov 19 18:14:31 CET 2013 :

>gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
>gpg: encrypted with unknown algorithm 163
>gpg: decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm

>(the passphrase used was: 12345)

>Now here is the last part of the error message when a 'different incorrect' passphrase ( boo)  is used:

>gpg: public key decryption failed: bad passphrase
>gpg: encrypted with unknown algorithm 231
>gpg: decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm

The above happens 'only' on windows ( the box I used for Testing was Windows 7 Pro)
and even then, doesn't happen on Cygwin.

The error message on Ubuntu, or on Cygwin in Win 7  is just:

gpg: decryption failed: unknown cipher algorithm

This is still unusual, as gnupg already identified it as TWOFISH, not as an unknown algorithm,
so the expected error message would be:   decryption failed: bad passphrase

vedaal

vedaal