2048 or 4096 for new keys? aka defaults vs. Debian

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 27 12:15:19 CET 2013

On 26-10-2013 14:13, Werner Koch wrote:

> 4k primary RSA keys increase the size of the signatures and thus make
> the keyrings longer and, worse, computing the web of trust takes much
> longer.

Yes, which leads to another question: why has the default switched from
ElGamal/DSA to RSA after the RSA patent expired? Does RSA have any
advantages over ElGamal/DSA? The only one I can think of is less
dependence of a correctly functioning RNG.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Johan Wevers