2048 or 4096 for new keys? aka defaults vs. Debian

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun Oct 27 18:21:12 CET 2013

On 10/27/2013 10:04 AM, MFPA wrote:
> Which raises the question in my mind: was SHA really flawed, or was it
> advantageous to NSA's purposes to have people use SHA-1 instead?

It's amazing what you can discover by checking Wikipedia.

SHA was deeply flawed.  The civilian cryptanalytic community broke SHA
wide open.  We don't know if the flaws the civilian cryptanalytic
community discovered are the same ones as what the NSA discovered that
caused them to urge SHA be replaced with SHA-1; however, SHA being a
flawed algorithm is beyond question.

In the future, let's please not engage in paranoid speculation without
doing a little research first.  There is already plenty enough fear,
uncertainty and doubt in the air regarding the NSA without us
contributing needlessly to it.