2048 or 4096 for new keys? aka defaults vs. Debian

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 27 12:53:22 CET 2013

On 27-10-2013 12:30, Peter Lebbing wrote:

> But I can think of another one: much more hardware support. Both smartcards and
> crypto-accelerators either in a general purpose CPU or as a module in a computer.

I had not thought of the crypto cards, but the only crypto hardware
acceleration in general purpose CPU's I know of are the AES functions in
the newer intel  CPU's, which are gladly used by TrueCrypt. And I see
the advantage in using that in TrueCrypt, which is constantly busy. But
the few encrypted messages people get via email can easily be handled by
a much slower CPU than I have now. My reading speed is the limiting
factor there, not the computers decrypting speed.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Johan Wevers