Fedora GPG Key Server

John Clizbe John at enigmail.net
Mon Sep 9 16:12:25 CEST 2013

Marcio B. Jr. wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
>> On Thu,  5 Sep 2013 22:22, marcio.barbado at gmail.com said:
>>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2013-September/003180.html
>>
>> Please do not post a mere link.  This assume that everyone is online and
>> able to read a web page.   At least an excerpt from the page would be
>> useful.

> This whole NSA blackmailing situation is causing strange reactions in you, sir.

Not at all. Nick's message was short enough, you could have easily copied the
entire message with a link to the original list posting. To wit:

> The Fedora Infrastructure team is pleased to announce that
> keys.fedoraproject.org is now up and running as a GPG keyserver.  We are
> also part of the sks-keyservers.net pool, which means that some people
> using pool.sks-keyservers.net will be directed to our server. We have a
> very nice web interface, which was designed by Maria 'tatica' Leandro
> Lombardo.  This will also in some ways work to promote Fedora, since some
> users using the pool will be directed to our server, which prominently
> features the Fedora logo and branding.
>
> This server may be accessed in the following ways: Web interface at
> http://keys.fedoraproject.org or https://keys.fedoraproject.org HKP
> (keyserver protocol) by doing "gpg --keyserver keys.fedoraproject.org
> --recv-keys 0x110810E9" (just an example)
>
> You could also put in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:
>    keyserver hkp://keys.fedoraproject.org
>
> -- Nick Bebout
> Fedora Project
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2013-September/003180.html

When posting a news article, the entire point of the post should be to get
readers to click through to your page. Your original post of a single link
gave absolutely zero incentive for any readers of this list to click your
link. NONE. As a P-R effort it was very poorly executed.

There were probably two subsets of list readers who knew what your link
concerned: 1) Fedora users who already read the post, and 2) SKS keyserver
operators who have been aware of Nick's work bringing the keyserver back
online since early August.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet: John (a) Gingerbear DAWT net
SKS/Enigmail/PGP-EKP                  or: John ( @ ) Enigmail DAWT net