Transfer subkey to other keyring

attila lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:22:24 CEST 2013

Peter Lebbing wrote
> I believe once GnuPG has a secret key, it won't update it anymore with any
> subsequent imports. So to get the additional subkey, re-export the whole
> thing,
> delete the existing one on the other system and import your re-exported
> whole thing.

i can confirm this.

i've deleted the entire secret key from my less protected keychain,
including the previous expired subkeys, and after that gpg --import imported
the subkeys i wanted (all of them that got exported with
--export-secret-subkeys from the more protected keyring).

Peter Lebbing wrote
>>    gpg:  secret keys unchanged: 1
>
> This message to me implies it is actually possible to change something
> about a
> secret key. I haven't figured out what yet.

me, too.

if gpg printed something like: "secret key already exists, aborting." then i
would have tried your suggested method of deleting the entire secret key
block on my own.

shall i/we record a bug in the gpg bug tracker for this?

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39