Transfer subkey to other keyring

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Sep 7 16:10:11 CEST 2013

On 27/06/13 18:55, Jack Bates wrote:
> except that I am using the key id of a subkey, with an exclamation
> mark, to export just one subkey instead of all the subkeys belonging to the
> primary key. The subkey with that key id definitely doesn't already exist in the
> destination keyring, although the destination keyring does already contain a
> different subkey.

I believe once GnuPG has a secret key, it won't update it anymore with any
subsequent imports. So to get the additional subkey, re-export the whole thing,
delete the existing one on the other system and import your re-exported whole thing.

I'm also wondering why you're being so explicit about it in the first place,
with transferring little chunks at a time using the exclamation mark instead of
the whole thing. Is there something specific you're trying to achieve?

>    gpg:  secret keys unchanged: 1

This message to me implies it is actually possible to change something about a
secret key. I haven't figured out what yet.

HTH,

Peter.