It's 2014. Are we there yet?

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Fri Apr 11 04:54:12 CEST 2014

 > One possible answer: https://www.mailpile.is/faq/

     * Where does Mailpile store my mail?
       With Mailpile, your e-mail is downloaded from the Internet
       (via an email server POP3 / IMAP), and stored locally on the
       computer where Mailpile is running.

     * Then how do I access it when my computer is turned off?
       You don't!

Exactly so.

Putting aside, for the moment, outright attacks, the individual or
the enterprise that outsources its e-mail to a third party thereby
creates by itself and for itself the risk of silent subpoenas
delivered to their outsourcer.  If, instead, the individual or the
enterprise insources its e-mail then at the very least it knows
when its data assets are being sought because the subpoena comes
to them.  Maybe insourcing your e-mail is too much work, but need
I remind anyone that plaintext e-mail cannot be web-bugged, so why
would anyone ever render HTML e-mail at all?

Apologies,

--dan