It's 2014. Are we there yet?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Apr 11 20:47:03 CEST 2014

> I’ll have to disagree. I think there’s a growing sense of “uhhh…maybe
> these email providers are not such a good idea after all”.

In 2007-8 (the last time I taught undergrad Computer Literacy), over a
third of my students only used email for university business (like
submitting papers to me) and talking to their older relatives.  Among
their own age bracket, most communication was done through Facebook.
(Today it's more Instagram and Snapchat and the percentage is
approaching 50%, according to my friends who are still teaching.)

But yes, email really is on the way out as a communications medium.  The
younger generation sees it as an antiquated technology.  I suspect in
another 20 years it'll be used about as much as Gopher is today.