gpg: checking created signature failed: Bad signature

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Aug 6 11:45:25 CEST 2014

On 05/08/14 22:46, michael crane wrote:
> bad hard drive ?

Hard disks store an error detection and correction code with the
data[1], and usually fail less subtly and regardless of the content of
the data. Whereas failure to motherboard, processor and power supply
tend to show themselves in very data-intensive scenarios such as
asymmetric cryptography. I think main memory less so, because the crypto
is likely completely contained in the cache.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] Although if the embedded processor for instance would start failing,
it's possible to damage data with consistent checksums. Note that SATA
communication between disk and computer also includes a checksum.