Fwd: It's time for PGP to die.

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Aug 18 14:25:41 CEST 2014

On 8/18/2014 5:04 AM, Rob Ambidge wrote:
> I read an article or something a while back stating the legal theory
> that if your passphrase is an admittance to a past crime, to hand
> over said passphrase would constitute as having said "testimonial
> value" and you could get away with not disclosing the passphrase.

That's one of the exceptions, yes.

Basically, if the fact you know something would tend to implicate you in
the commission of a crime, then you can't be compelled to reveal that
you know it.  Whether it's a passphrase or a safe combination makes no
difference.

There are a lot of nuances and exceptions here.  This isn't legal
advice.  If you need legal advice, ask a real lawyer, not an internet
mailing list...