Fwd: It's time for PGP to die.

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Aug 18 20:11:57 CEST 2014

> Well, I see some ridiculous sentences of US judges published here,
> but I realize that only the most stupid ones reach the press here.
> However, since US law has something called "subphoena", which I
> consider a grave violation of the right to remain silent, I have not
> much trust in US law.

Err -- *what* right to remain silent?  No country has a universal right
to remain silent.  If you're a witness to a crime, you can be compelled
to testify about what you see.  If you're in possession of documents
that are relevant to a police investigation, you can be ordered to
produce them, and so on and so on.  That's the subpoena duces tecum in a
nutshell, right there.

Keep in mind that the idea of a subpoena duces tecum is so
uncontroversial that it's been formalized in *two* separate Hague
conventions: the Hague Service Convention and the Hague Evidence
Convention.  If you don't have trust in U.S. law because we have the
subpoena duces tecum, you should have no more faith in Dutch law...

> That seems to be what Snowden showd.

Been nice talking to you, Johan.