It's time for PGP to die.

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Aug 19 22:49:42 CEST 2014

> And do they get it or will the government just ignore the supreme
> court?

This is the last I will be contributing to this misbegotten thread.

The Supreme Court gets involved only rarely, but when they do, they
settle the argument with the finality of a nuclear strike.

Consider the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005, which Congress passed with
enthusiastic support from the Bush Administration.  This law claimed
that it had the right to strip the Supreme Court of jurisdiction to hear
any challenges to the Act.  The Court was not amused and in a 5-3
decision threw the entire Guantanamo Bay military commissions structure
out on its ear -- to hell with what Congress and the President wanted!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdan_v._Rumsfeld

I could literally list *dozens* of cases where the Supreme Court told
Congress and the President "no" on subjects where Congress and the
President insisted they would only take "yes" for an answer.  In each
case that I'm aware of, the Supreme Court won the argument handily.