(OT) installing gnupg-2.0.26

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Aug 24 19:22:52 CEST 2014

On 24/08/14 18:23, Philip Jackson wrote:
> Wow, that's a pretty dumb mistake to make. I just assumed the latest version
> was at the bottom of the list on the ftp page.

Doesn't sound very dumb to me; it's just a regular mistake even if you
knew that directories are often sorted in this really basic sorting
order. Your mind doesn't sort numbers according to ASCII representation.

My graphical file manager, Thunar (XFCE), sorts such things as one would
expect, comparing numerical substrings according to numerical value
rather than ASCII representation[1]. It's a really useful little detail
that helps in such cases. Alhtough I've often made the reverse mistake,
looking for version 20 between 2 and 3 :D.

I would welcome it if they ever put this into ls and bash completion, so
it also worked like that on the command line.

Peter.

[1] At least, that's how I assume it works.